Rpi

Sean Burberry

26 Jun, 2016 10:02 PM

Hi,
I am in the early days of developing a chess GUI to run on Ubuntu and Raspberry PI. I am building it around Stockfish as the primary engine. I just want my program to be a nice, clean simple GUI for Linux (similar to Droidfish for example).
Have you considered uploading a Raspberry Pi version of Stockfish ? I have a locally compiled one for myself here but if in the future if I make my app available to Rpi users it would be nice if they had a download for Stockfish for Rpi available.
Many thanks,
Sean.,

1. 1 Posted by Clairre on 27 Jun, 2016 03:59 AM

yes

2. 2 Posted by max on 04 Nov, 2016 11:15 PM

Stockfish already runs on Raspbery Pi, however you would need your own GUI to support it. See here for a simple python program that runs Stockfish through UCI
    Chess.fortherapy

3. 3 Posted by Sean Burberry on 05 Nov, 2016 03:42 PM

Hi Max,

Great, thanks a lot.

I already have a GUI, I am writing my own for Ubuntu Linux and have a version for the Rpi. Let me know if you want to have a quick try of it. I include a pic of it running with Stockfish, I built Stockfish for the Rpi before you made it available and tested around that.

The GUI basics are there , you can play a game on UCI or XBoard engine . Of course I prefer UCI and Stockfish and built it around that !

Still lots to do but I should have a fully working first version in 6-12 month if people want to use it.

Sean.,

4. 4 Posted by max on 06 Nov, 2016 09:36 PM

comment no longer public

5. 5 Posted by Sean Burberry on 22 Feb, 2018 10:31 PM

Hi Max,

I emailed you many moons about my Linux Chess GUI.

The Beta is about done, give it a try if you get a chance.

There is a Raspberry Pi installer, Ubuntu & Fedora so you should be able to find a version for you.

Here is the link, let me know if you get to try it.

www.StingRayChess.org<http://www.StingRayChess.org>

Ta,

Sean.,

6. 6 Posted by max on 01 Mar, 2018 11:08 AM

Sean,

Thanks for that, unfortunately I have taken a rest from chess computing to pursue “other Interests” however it looks intriguing and I will try and make time to have a go.

Regards

Max

7. 7 Posted by Sean Burberry on 01 Mar, 2018 12:01 PM

Hi Max,

Thanks for your very much appreciated feedback . It is 99% done now, I am trying to get it out there and have sent emails to anyone I think might be interested ( e.g. Magpi magazine , etc ). I have to say not much luck at the moment, so your reply raised my spirits a bit ! Lot !

Please do try it , if you are not completely sick of PC, Chess and the whole damned lot !!! ( tell me about it ).

If you speak to anyone else who has not lost interest in Chess and Computing, please let them know about it too. I have put a lot of time into it ( I am sure they same is true of your project too ).

I hope you get the mojo back and dive back into chess, but enjoy the break ( and the new things - anything interesting ?) until you do.

Put your feet up, have a beer and I am sure you will get back to Chess & computing in the near future...

Cheers,

Sean.,

8. 8 Posted by Bryan Whitby on 22 Apr, 2018 05:13 PM

Hi Sean
    Unfortunately your link isn't working.
    Regards
    Bryan

9. 9 Posted by Sean Burberry on 22 Apr, 2018 06:37 PM

Hi Bryan,

Sorry not sure why the link is not working, I guess you are looking on the stockfish website.

For some reason that link does not, er 'link' !

Manually type in http://www.stingraychess.org/ to the browser and you should be able to get it.

For me slightly older versions of Raspbian are better but you should get it running on the new version of Stretch too.

For Rpi just install your engine, and point to it.

Any problems get back to me,

Sean.,

10. 10 Posted by Bryan Whitby on 23 Apr, 2018 07:26 AM

Hi Sean

Many thanks for the quick response!

Just one question before I decide to have a go.
    Looking at your screenshots, they don't appear to be full screen.
    I wouldn't want a background showing so, is there an option for full screen?

Regards
    Bryan

11. 11 Posted by Sean Burberry on 23 Apr, 2018 10:45 AM

Hi Bryan ,

There is no full-screen mode as yet, but It is something I will look into. You can make the display larger in the settings dialog or from the main menu.

Send future comments and ideas to [email blocked] if possible , to save up long exchanges on the stockfish site.

Thanks,

Sean.,

12. 12 Posted by Sean Burberry on 24 Apr, 2018 06:55 AM

Bryan, I am looking at making full-screen an option but how well it works will depend on the windows manager you use.

The site garbled the support email, so any more queries go to the contacts page on my site and send emails to that address.

Ta,

Sean.,

13. 13 Posted by Sean Burberry on 05 May, 2018 11:19 AM

Hi Bryan,

It took longer than expected but I have added a full-screen mode now (Ver 0.98a).

You can toggle with CTRL+F and can get to the settings screen in fullscreen mode with CTRL-S.

Any problems, email to the StingRay support email.

Sean.,

14. 14 Posted by birbs on 18 Jun, 2018 09:17 PM

Hi Bryan,
    I have now added fat pieces as well as the full-screen mode.

Go to my website if you want to try it. You might have to type in the link, as the displayed address is mangled, so the link won't work...

www.stingraychess.org

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac