World Chess Engine Championships

iamworldnumber1

08 Nov, 2015 09:49 PM

If we think carefully, then we will notice that the World Chess Engine Championship is very unfair for Stockfish. As Stockfish is open source, so Komodo can get all the SF ideas and implement them cleverly in their own Komodo engine. But SF is not allowed to get even 1 idea from Komodo. So, Komodo team has the advantage to prepare Komodo engine in such a way that it wins most of the time against SF, because they have got SF's source code. And when these 2 engines face each other in the Tournaments, then Komodo eventually gets the first position due to this advantage. Is it not unfair? What do you think?

1. 1 Posted by iamworldnumber1 on 08 Nov, 2015 10:16 PM

To,
    The Stockfish Developers (Daylen Yang, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski and Tord Romstad)

It seems like the reward of the hard work of Daylen Yang, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski and Tord Romstad is taken away from them by Mark Lefler and GM Larry Kaufman. If Stockfish loses in TCEC Season 8 superfinal, then I will really fell very sad. Komodo gets all the help from SF, but SF gets no help from Komodo. This is really unfair. I am sure that all the SF developers must be feeling very sad when they see Komodo defeating SF. If Komodo team were not allowed to implement any idea of SF in their own Komodo engine, then I think we would have got a fair game. According to me, SF is already the World Computer Chess Champion till date. I will never accept Komodo as World Computer Chess Champion, as long as they are allowed to implement SF's ideas in Komodo engine. My request to the SF team is that - You all make SF 3 times stronger than Komodo and don't allow Komodo to implement your ideas in their engine. Then I can bet, that SF will win all the tournaments against Komodo.
    But still I would like to know the opinion of the SF developers. This question is only for SF's developers, and so I don't want others to reply to my question and comment.
    Best wishes for Stockfish in its fight against Komodo.

2. 2 Posted by sklaskladsldsak... on 08 Nov, 2015 11:05 PM

This is life. Komodo is progressing fast mainly because they're closely monitoring Stockfish's commits. They're exploring the true power of open source; making money while not contributing anything back. The Komodo team is selfish, but that's not much you can do.

I remember they accused the Houdini software for illegal copying, now they're doing the same and worse. Komodo is a modified copy-and-paste of the Stockfish engine.

3. 3 Posted by red fox on 09 Nov, 2015 12:45 AM

Guys , the absurd thing is that the world champion for 2015 is Shredder . That event WCCC is absurd .

4. 4 Posted by deedstacktyk on 09 Nov, 2015 10:20 AM

with the tcec 8 superfinal settings, komodo is 10-20 elo less stronger because hyperthreading isn't used !

5. 5 Posted by iamworldnumber1 on 10 Nov, 2015 08:16 PM

Nope. Komodo is much stronger. That is why Komodo is now leading the
    tournament.

6. 6 Posted by iamworldnumber1 on 11 Nov, 2015 11:45 AM

By saying "Komodo is much stronger," I mean that Komodo had done a lot of copy paste from Stockfish.

7. 7 Posted by iamworldnumber1 on 11 Nov, 2015 11:47 AM

Komodo is actually not stronger than Stockfish. Stockfish latest development version is much stronger than Komodo 9.3x. Actually Komodo team didn't get time to copy paste the implementation done of the latest SF versions.

8. 8 Posted by Mike on 30 Nov, 2015 05:25 PM

unfortunately thats life. the only thing i could think of doing is buying komodo and reverse engineer its source code to see if they have any elo boosting code that stockfish doesnt have at the moment. if that means spending the 50 bucks or so which go straight back to the komodo developer teams pockets then so be it. komodo has it fundamentally easier to design stockfish beating devices and the only factor they need to consider is copying and pasting stockfish's source code quick enough before the competition starts and nothing will be able to change that.

9. 9 Posted by Mile on 01 Dec, 2015 03:16 PM

EDIT:
    It seems komodo does have its own innovative programming with which to be one of the top chess engines in the world and DO seem to have a more vigorous testing reigme when implementing and testing new code which is shown by the fact they have the best positional play and rely almost exclusively on evaluation. that being said they do have the option but not necessarily the need to view stockfish's code and see if they can implement any ideas stockfish has into their own programme but it's time consuming to do as both engines have different methodological approaches to tackling chess. recent matches between stockfish and komodo show more of stockfishs difficulty in exploiting hardware effectively and failure to implement SMP (whatever that is) and komodos superiority in designing and testing itself.

10. 10 Posted by red fox on 01 Dec, 2015 03:31 PM

Maybe GM must give ideas . i dont know . i wish SF was the best .

One thing i liked in SF 6 , was the human like style , which SF 5 didnt have . Unfortunately SF 6 cant cope with some positions , though it is very good .

Go Stockfish !

11. 11 Posted by Phoom Saihom on 01 Dec, 2015 03:39 PM

Can Stockfish make you own Gui and engine for free too. And make it free source code. It will be best if somebody can get or modify to another kind op chess and make it simple to easy to edit example bishop or Queen move make both side may be me or somebody can develop to another chess and make it to be another chess champion program too.

12. 12 Posted by Phoom Saihom on 01 Dec, 2015 03:55 PM

or make engine like this it will play makruk https://sites.google.com/site/deuteriumengine/files/makruk

13. 13 Posted by Phoom Saihom on 01 Dec, 2015 04:20 PM

LET PLAY STOCKFISH 6 ON WINBOARD-ALIEN unrar c:\ you will get c:\winboard-alien\winboard.exe and you can play it now.

14. 14 Posted by fusion on 02 Dec, 2015 08:11 AM

komodo is known to have a legendary evaluation function but no one has accessed it yet....

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac